The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies. Gertrude Jekyll

Annie's Little Plot

Annie's Little Plot

Saturday 19 March 2011

My Allotment

I heard that I was getting an allotment plot in December and when I went to view it for the first time it was in the snow!



So there are two long raised beds, the width of the allotment and then a big square area which is a bit weedy. Plus a compost heap! No shed though I was a bit disappointed about that! But compared to my last allotment it is in really good condition, though I guess I can't see all the hidden weeds yet.

My first proper session at the allotment was on sunday 6th March as we had a cold winter and wet so couldn't really get there before then. My first job was to dig over the two raised beds.


I hadn't done any digging for ages so I was feeling the after effects for a few days! The last owner of the plot had left a garden gnome for me!
Then I started getting the big weeds out of the big main bed. There were lots of dandelions, some ragwort and big grass clumps but so far I don't think there is anything too horrible. There was also lots of forget-me-not seedlings some of which I've brought home to my garden.

Was a momentous day on Sunday 13th March when I planted my first crop, Garlic. I guess I'm a bit late with this but I had already planted the cloves into modules a few weeks ago to get them started, so they had good roots and some shoots already.
So am getting together a plan of what to plant and where. It seems there is loads of space but I'm sure I'll soon fill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment